Monday, April 10, 2006

Entry Into Cyberspace

I've been using computers since I was six years old. Early identification of a handwriting issue, and parents (and family) who were remarkable in their patience and trust enabled me to get some early access.
I think the first PC I ever played with was a Timex Sinclair (My Uncle Mike's). Then on to an Apple IIe. My father had to convince my mother that we needed this machine, as it was still pretty rare for a PC to be in the home at this point. To his credit, he did a remarkable amount of remarkable work on that machine. It amazes me that my wristwatch and cellphone have more computing power than that thing did, but he ran the best soccer club in the area from it (when soccer was a rare game for kids. Real American kids played baseball).

Anyway, I have really cool parents. They somehow managed to steer a crazy kid through a series of failures through high school, until he graduated 5 years later. They didn't press him when he said he didn't want to go to college. When he finally got his butt in gear and went to paramedic school, they did everything they could to support him.

I'm a decent medic. I love the work (though it does have it's frustrations at times), but I frequently have more fun when I'm not "working". I'm always a medic, even when I'm not on the clock. It has become so much of what I do, that I spend a some time each day helping friends and family with medical issues. This has shown me some of the failings of our medical infrastructure as a whole.

Everyone knows that doctors are overworked. Too many patients are afraid to take up too much of the doctor's time. To the patients, I say "SPEAK UP!", you have a right to have the questions regarding your health answered. To the doc's, I empathize with you, but consider empathizing with your patients a little bit more on critical issues. Do you want "some medic" explaining to your patient the life changing diagnosis your have just handed your patient? That's if you are lucky. Many patients are simply going to the internet to research their condition. God only knows what scary stuff is on there (like this blog). Quite a few people will research until they find the article that fits their views, and stick with that one-- never mind how many opposing viewpoints they encounter first.

Don't get me started on insurance companies. You won't like my answer. Same with Socialized Medicine (politics and religion are probably left alone as well).

I'm a big advocate of personal responsibility. If I continue writing here, I'm sure you'll see that theme come up a fair amount.

Anyway, why should you read this? Why come back here? Well, if you've read this far, I'd say stick around. It will get better. I'm a pretty contentious guy at times. I'll say things that will upset you at times, and have you laughing at others.

I have a fair amount of hobbies, from cooking and reading, to SCUBA Diving, airsoft, shooting and rappelling. I'm an unemployed medic, going back to school fulltime after playing "Doctor" for the last 15 years. I haven't been impressed with college yet (I'll probably go into that in a couple of days), and some of the people I've encountered have given me serious concerns for our future.

To close, this isn't for you. If you are reading this, I almost certainly don't know you. There is no way that I can hope to write something like this without offending someone. I'm writing here to get my thoughts down on paper, and you happened to stop by. If this offends you to the point of anger, GO AWAY! If this challenges the way you think, then please stay. Put some of your thoughts down on paper (or the net). If this amuses you, then I'm doing something right. There is too much sadness and horror in the world. Laugh whenever you can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home